Monday, September 15, 2008

School so far!

Well, our school so far is going wonderful! We mostly have been reading alot of books. I ordered Horizons Math K for Kylie to use, I imagine that Alaina will be doing it also as she is does most anything Kylie does.

We were using Teach Your Child to Read In 100 Easy Lessons. Kylie was doing okay but was getting bored really easy. I was at Mardels Saturday and got up enough nerve to ask a lady that was in the Homeschool Isle and carrying Explode the Code, if she liked the program. We visited a little bit and I ended up buying the Get Ready for the Code series (Books A, B and C). Kylie is breezing right along through these and it is really sticking with her. Anytime she wants to do them, I sit down with her and we work on them. I am still keeping the Teach Your Child, and starting it with Alaina, but I will probably end up with the Explode the Code with both of them.

I am still thinking about Science. For right now, we are going to check out books from the library and read them.

History, is also going to be books for right now, I finally got to read through Story of the World the other day and I loved it. That will probably be what we end up with for History.

Music and Art, we are going to start slowly on this, and incorporate the Composers and Artist off of Ambleside Onlines list. They listen to Classical music as they go to sleep for Nap Times and they love it so I dont think that getting them to study about it will be a problem.

I know that according to most websites and curriculums, we are supposed to be studying Latin, but so far, I cant find a curriculum that I really think will just work with them.....and me. But they have taken an interest in sign language so we are picking up that. I have been using alot of different resources for this. Someone in Wal Mart actually asked me the other day if Kylie was deaf because she was going over the signs she knows without saying anything. It was quite a show.

Jason is even doing school with us. He listens to the stories we read, counts....all the way to five, he says his abc's.....mostly, he knows some colors, he writes when the girls are writing....and not just regular paper, he has to have the handwriting paper that they do. He has his own Bible, and when we read ours, he reads his. Today, he was saying letter sounds as we did. I wasnt expecting him to do all this with us. It is almost scary.

The lady that I met at Mardels was so encouraging. I wish that there was more people like her around here. I had to go an hour away to meet her though. And I know an hour dont sound like very far but gas prices are getting us right now. We make sure we have enough to go to Church on Sundays and that is about the extent of our traveling. We had to go to the town that Mardels is in for Pauls business but other than that, we dont go many places.

I hope to get some pictures up of our school sometime soon. Right now though, I am enjoying my babies.

I am putting our weekly memory verse up on the side bar. We may have two or three at a time, and do them for two or three weeks at a time. We will see how it goes. Today, Kylie can already tell me half of the one we read this morning. She is doing so good.

Blessings
Crystal

1 comment:

JavaMama said...

Science has been amazing for us and we are basically just checking out books from the library and engulfing ourselves through out the week.

For Latin we are using Memoria press which is good, I have hear a lot of good things about Latin for Children as well. Those are the only ones I can say anything about.

Looking forward to hearing more about your homeschool days!

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Google Search

Custom Search